Introduction & Inspiration
I was looking for a Les Paul, but I couldn’t quite find what I was looking for. So I decided to go for it myself. Main inspiration came from the Mike Campell 40th anniversary Duesenberg and the Gibson Les Paul Supreme Florentine. Next to that I thought it would be fun to go for British Racing Green, because of an earlier purchase I made. A Jaguar Sovereign in that colour. Check last pictures. I found a website where you can design your own Les Paul or SG. Check first picture. After I already ordered the kit and paint, I stumbled upon Slash’s Anaconda Les Paul. Pretty close to what I had in mind for the colour scheme.
Kit, hardware and paint
I bought the “Guitar Kit MLP Flamed Maple Top Custom Mahagoni” with a roller bridge at ML-Factory. The kit is equipped with black knobs, pick guard etc. Because I wanted to have these parts in cream, I ordered some plastics at a Chinese web shop. Additionally I bought some hardware replacements: Bigsby B7 with Vibramate, Duncan Seymour “Slash” humbuckers, Grover Tuners, a tusq nut, 500K CTS pots, Orange drops, Switchcraft 3 way switch, Golden Les Paul hat knobs (volume and tone) and Shaller Straplocks.
For the paint job, I choose nitrocellulose lacquers and polish from Dartfords.
I did a 50’s wiring job on the pots and already soldered as much as possible outside the guitar. I discovered some frets being uneven. So I removed the nut and levelled and crowned the frets. After that I installed the tusq nut. The holes for the tailpiece were a bit far towards the back for the Bigsby. I plugged the holes with mahogany and drilled new holes a bit more towards the bridge. The Chinese humbucker rings didn’t have the right contour, so I sanded them flush to fit the body. I prepared two spraying jigs from scrap material so paint could flow and dry in a horizontal position. After sealing the entire guitar and my first colour attempt I discovered the British Racing Green in the spray can wasn’t exactly the same colour as the British Racing Green on my car. A long story short. I have sanded everything back to the veneer (which was very tricky) and raised the grain with a water based black stain. After that I mixed my own colours until I was happy with the result. I cut out some body shapes out of ply wood to make samples and practice on the sunburst using a paint gun. After applying 6 coats of clear coat I let it harden for 2 weeks and polished neck and body to a nice gloss. In the final weekend I did the finishing bits of soldering and installed all hardware.